|The Greenbrier River Trail, has install new interpretive signs to help visiitors understand the history and natural heritage of the trail and river.
Work has continued behind the scenes developing the text and images for these attractive and informative additions to The Greenbrier River Trail.
|1901: Train Station at North Caldwell|
|The C & O station at Caldwell was originally listed on the schedule as Little Sulphur. Once the depot building was complete in 1901 the name changed to Hunter, and finally in 1902 was listed as North Caldwell. The station had numerous facilities including a section foreman’s house, bunkhouse, section tool house, and stock pens. The railroad also operated a farm and nursery here for a few years. The North Caldwell station was closed in 1967. On December 28, 1978, the last train made its run from Durbin heading for Hinton. The Greenbrier line of the Chesapeake and Ohio faded into history, passing through Ronceverte unnoticed.|
|1913: Spice Run Lumber Company|
In 1913 the Spice Run Lumber Company started its operation in Pocahontas County just north of the Greenbrier County line in a region that had become known for its fine stands of white pine. The company’s owners, James and David Flynn, of Charleston, had purchased 8200 acres of land which had been previously owned by the St. Lawrence Boom and Manufacturing Company in Ronceverte. They constructed a large band mill as well as a town of fifty houses and yards. By 1916 the company was issuing stock in the form of gold bond certificates, but financial problems caused the mill to be taken over by the Brookville Pa. Title and Trust Co. In the late teens the Vulcan Last Company established an extract plant at Spice Run. It was located across the river from the sawmill, and was served by the lumber company railroad.
Spice Run Lumber Company ceased operation in 1926 and Vulcan closed down the following year. Spice Run would remain on the freight station list of the C & O Railway until 1956. It continued as a passenger flag stop until 1958 when passenger service ended on the Greenbrier line. Today, the site of the lumber town of Spice Run is nothing more than one house and a pasture. Pillars from the bridge spanning the Greenbrier still stand in the river reminding us of the logging boom which took place here 100 years ago. Spice Run is bounded on the north by The Calvin W. Price State Forest and is one of the most remote wilderness areas in West Virginia.
|1926: Building the Railroad|
|The Chesapeake and Ohio construction of the Greenbrier Railway through Marlinton began in 1899 along the Greenbrier River south of Stillhouse Run. Construction crews are reported to have used mules, wagons, and tents that were army surplus from the Spanish-American War. It is estimated that 1,500 men were at work within a few months. The construction train pictured belonged to the Greenbrier River Railroad Company and was used to haul materials for the work. The official “first train” arrived in Marlinton on October 26, 1900. The entire town turned out in their finery for the daylong celebration|
|1926: The Company Town|
Cass was built in 1900 as the company town for the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company. The town bustled with churches, schools, businesses and The Pocahontas Supply Company, overlooking the Greenbrier River. Families lived in company houses. The company store supplied everything they needed – groceries, hardware, clothing, plumbing supplies, furniture – even a gold watch or wedding ring. The company doctor took care of everyone in town.
A dollar from your paycheck would cover your family’s medical expenses for a month. In 1942 the mill, the town and the timberland were sold to the Mower Lumber Company, which operated until 1960. To prevent Cass from becoming a ghost town, the townspeople persuaded the State Legislature to purchase the mill’s property and equipment. The Cass Scenic Railroad State Park is one of the most visited parks in West Virginia.